Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Exhaust Manifold Repair - Stage 3: Shoot me, it's over

Wow, what a lesson in tedious work this project has been. And a lesson in doing things the wrong way multiple times. I need to not assume ANYTHING anymore.

1. I assumed the replacement manifold was exactly the same. I learned it wasn't once it was already on. The connection of the heat riser to the manifold on the original has a lip that fit inside the manifold. The new manifold didn't have an allowance for the lip so I had to grind the heat riser lip down to make it fit.

2. I painted the manifold with high temp engine enamel. I thought I picked up a 1500 degree paint, no, it was a 500 degree paint. The red manifold, after running it for 30 minutes, is now a nice shiny black, and still smoking as the paint burns off.

3. By far the biggest wrong assumption were the manifold studs. What a nightmare that whole thing turned out to be. They were the same length as the originals, but the coarse and fine threads were drastically different in lengths. I thought it would be a good thing until I had the studs in and tried to get the manifold on. No deal. I couldn't slip it past the frame. I had to take out and cut and then reinsert and torque the studs 4 times. And there's 7 of them.

Here's 2 videos I made of inserting and removing the studs. I just want you to experience the banal, repetitive wrist movements I got to enjoy for a few hours.











But you know what? She purrs like a kitten. I'll retorque the nuts again soon and she should be all set. And thank Jeebus I can go back to working on my bikes. I'm very thankful I had a place inside I could work on it. That makes a world of difference.

No comments: