Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

She's lump

I had put about 1000 or so too many mile on my KLR's rear tire and finally got it changed to an old stock KLR knobbie. I took it to Oakland's favorite old bike mechanic Tyler at Hayasa. The road tire had practically squared off. Riding to work this morning was an interesting experience; I had pretty much forgotten what a knobbie tire felt like on the highway at 80mph.


The worst part of this whole tire change was getting the tire straight and tensioned correctly. The KLR's axle adjusting ticks on the side are sloppy sloppy sloppy. You can move the bracket back and forth an 1/8" or more, enough to go from one tick to the next. What good does that do? I had to eyeball it best I could. I'm pretty sure they fixed that on the '08 KLR models.

No comments: