Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Going In Circles

Last weekend I, with Lucas' help, took the RD to Livermore to visit RD Guru Julian to figure out what is up. We got it running as usual, but it was mediocre at best. He checked to make sure the floats were on the right side (left side has a choke hole, which I didn't realize) and that was correct. We pulled the carbs off again and then he ran into his house. He came back out with a smile on his face... "The carb slides are on the wrong side!" We swapped those and it was like NIGHT AND DAY.

The beast was back! The idle was good, but he left it up to me to check the mains, which seemed pretty good already. So yesterday, it ran great, but I was low on gas so I threw on its license with 2009 tags and shoved the headlight back in, and rode it to the gas station a few blocks away. I forgot how fun it is to ride this bike! Filled it up with 1 gallon of premium, 3.75 oz of 2-stroke oil, and shook it it all up. I left the station and about 20 feet later it fouled and just would not start again. I got to push it back home.

I swear, there is nothing more problematic than a 2-stroke. If this bike wasn't worth it, i would have taken a shotgun to it long ago. Today I will ONCE AGAIN try to figure out what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is wrong with it.

6 years ago...

No comments: