Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Timing is critical

For 4-5 years I have chased jetting issues on my RD. Why did it keep fouling? Too lean? Too rich? I tried to sell it so many times, but like a bad girlfriend, I couldn't give her up. I went on a night ride with some vintage buds a week ago and it left me stranded with fouled plugs. I threw my hands in the air. My buddy Julian gave me his opinion that it was timing. It couldn't be timing... I had an RD expert time it (with strobe) after I rebuilt the motor. His opinion was you don't time RD's with strobes, but a dial gauge. I checked the timing with my dial gauge. It was firing at TDC. It should be firing at 1.8mm before TDC. I set the timing and HOLY SHIT! That was it! All these years... I'm looking forward to getting reaquainted with my ol gal. I took a ride out on Redwood Road with Lucas and Doug this weekend. She was smokin! But I think it's time to take the Clubmans off. in the words of Danny Glover, "I'm gettin too old for this shit."



No comments: