Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

A drive down memory lane, auto edition

I'm selling my 1953 Desoto (again). It's just time. TI'm feeling nostalgic, and I thought it would be fun to compile a list of all my vehicles I've owned over the last 20 years.

1974 Ford F100. My very first vehicle, bought when I was 14 I think. I got it for $100 for the Free-bee ads in Defiance, Ohio. It sort of ran, I think. But it needed a lot of work. My dad tried to help me, but I just didn't have the patience. It didn't help that I had to work on it in the snow covered gravel. Sold it a year later, and never actually got to drive it. Gotta love those space boots.


1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo. I got this sometime around 1993, my first real car. $3000 and my parents helped me finance it by paying them $150/month until it was paid off. I used my paper route money, and then my after school job money. It was my car through highschool and college. It's the car I drove to Austin, TX with to start my first job. Some mexicans bought it and they apparently never put it in their name. I received bills from impound lots for years.


2000 Toyota Celica GTS
I was working at IBM in Austin and I thought it was high time I bought my very first new car. I wanted something peppy and sporty. I really liked this car. I used to put my bmx in the back and go to the skatepark all the time. I eventually sold it, as I wanted a truck and didn't want to make the payments anymore. I sold it to a young woman who 1 week later got t-boned in it.


1995 Toyota 4Runner
I absolutely loved this thing. I used to take it to this little 4X4 course by the freeway and just go mudding and drive like a maniac. I took this 4runner back with me when I moved back to Ohio and then to Ithaca, and then back to Ohio again.


1950 Dodge Coronet
While living in Ithaca my roomate and I thought it would be fun to work on an old car. So I found one in Massachusetts for $400, all there. I took it back to Ohio and it just sat. I eventually sold it to someone in Canada.


1992 Jetta
This thing was a piece of shit. But I was poor, unemployed. I sold my 4runner and bought this thing for $1000 and drove it out west for my Great Tattoo Roadtrip. When I got to SLC I wanted to shoot it and kill it. Instead I bought my first Galaxie, finished the roadtrip in that, and had a friend in SLC sell the Jetta for me.


1963 Ford Galaxie 500
I loved this car so much. I bought it for $3000 in SLC. I forget the dude's name, but it had a lot of love put in it. Nice small flake silver paint job, shaved everything, amazing original interior, interior pinstripes by Harpoon, reverse chrome wheels, Bellflower exhaust. I drove this from SLC to Tucson to Austin and back to Ohio. I felt like Mad Max. I have so many good memories with this car. I eventually traded it for my '62 Triumph just before moving to California. I miss this car so much.


1989 Ford F-150
I picked this clunker up for $1500 in Ohio to haul my stuff to California.. It had blingin' wheels and a cannon stencil on the hood! It got me to California no problem where I sold it for what I paid to some Mexicans who were obviously taking it down to Mexico.


1958 Chevy Apache
I was a recent transplant to California, staying in Oakland. I had no running motorcycles or a car. I had a bicycle. I found this thing on Craigslist for $1700 in San Rafael. I rode my bike and took the bus all the way there from Oakland and paid the guy $1400 for it a drove it home across the Richmond bridge. I still remember all the sounds. I was happy as a clam. It had a later 305 motor in it, and never gave me any problems. I used to cruise all over Oakland with my roomates dog and me smoking my pipe. I met Lori while I owned this truck.


1963 Ford Galaxie 500
Lori and I moved in together and I owned the Apache. We decided to fly up to Seattle and pick up this '63 from a military man for $3500. The interior wasn't as nice, but this one had a gas guzzling 390 in it, vs the 351 my first one had. We drove it back to Oakland with a few hiccups. I cruised around it in it for a while, but it just didn't feel the same to me, so I sold it and the Apache to get the Desoto.


1953 Desoto Firedome
I was looking for a 53 or 54 Chevy actually and came upon this for $5500. I'd never seen a 2 door one. I made the magic happen and I picked it up out in Belmont. The rest is history. I will miss this car when it sells. This is the vehicle I have done the most work on.


1949 Ford F-1
I really needed a truck and I really wanted an old F-1 with a flathead v8. I found this one for $6500 and it had a lot of work done already. I couldn't say no. I owned it for a year before we started looking for a house and I had to say goodbye to some of my toys.

No comments: