Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2015

It begins... pre-unit rebuild

The weekend I've been looking forward to and also dreading is here. Max and Lori are in Socal and I have 3 1/2 complete days alone. I'm completely wiring the 750 Hondamatic and tearing down the pre-unit. Maybe I can go see Mad Max or something, too. Anyway, I spent all yesterday getting the motor out and assessing the damage. Yup, there's a hole in the piston. I used my new super awesome magneto timing light and it told me my timing was perfect. After examining the head gasket, it looks like it was blown around the center bolt... and I'm not suprised. I was never able to get that bolt to seat right. I did what I should have done in the first place and chased all the barrel threads and the head bolts. That made a world of difference and am kicking myself I didn't do it. So why did I hole the piston? Head gasket leak? The other theory is the rings never set right, I'd always been blowing smoke. The barrles looked good just glazed. Going to try to split the cases today.
















No comments: