Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Christmas in August

Great day for parts yesterday. After a 4 year search, I finally picked up a pre-unit T100 gas tank. I wanted a smaller tank for my '55 Tbird project. It's not that I haven't seen any for sale, I just haven't seen any that didn't get bid up beyond reason. This one I picked up real cheap, patience paid off. Not only that, this is a 1 year only 1956. Same shape as the '57-'59 tanks, but the striped band and badges fit on it. I just happened to have the T100 badges, band, and front tank mount that came with my 6T tank.

In addition, I also received my ironhead and bits from Meriden Speed Shop. I'm picking up a unit crank and rods. That should complete all the major bits I need, except perhaps a magneto. As soon as I finish my '62, it's right on to the '55 project.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015


Got some more garage time and tackled some more minor annoyances. First I left-justified the Tympanium so that the wires won't rub on the gas tank anymore. Next I straighted the tail light with a pie cut. I test fit the pre-unit frying pan brake. I'll need to make a custom axle, spacers, and get that hub chromed before lacing it to a 21" wheel. And finally, I tore everything apart. Time to clean up and get ready for paint.

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Laying back

Major success on getting the frame closer to paint. I removed and cleaned up the old seat mounts. I'll be getting fresh TIG welds. I got a new seat hinge from Fab Kevin, this one the hidden hinge. Also my neighbor made me some new spring mounts on his lathe. Lots of eye balling, measuring, lining up, eye balling, computations, laser levels, and eye balling and I'm pretty happy with the results. The seat is about 3-1/2" further back and down. Time to disassemble the frame, clean up all the welds, remove the paint, and get it and the tins to my buddy to TIG and paint.
old mounts


new front mount